In the early 1900’s the U.S. Government determined that a lighthouse was needed on Kauai to aid navigation. Kilauea Point was selected because of the prominent northernmost location on the island and the 180 foot elevation. (Click on photos to enlarge.)
Barbier, Bernard, and Turenne manufactured the lighthouse’s Fresnel lenses in Paris, France. The 9,000-pound lenses floated on mercury and compressed air and were rotated by a system of pulleys.
The upper portion of the lighthouse has a steel circular walkway with handrails. The metalwork was fabricated in Ohio.
There were no good roads between Nawiliwili Harbor and Kilauea at the time, so the decision was made to bring in the materials for the lighthouse by sea.
A boom derrick was built to lift construction supplies to the top.
A shark on the landing platform July 4th, 1913.
Three houses were built for the light keepers and their families.
(Source: Department of Commerce. Bureau of Lighthouses.)